16 June 2020

Summer Newsletter 2018: Article

Dear Friends

 

A Season of Giving

 

A prayer that I used at the Kildare Pre-Primary Nativity evenings this year spoke of “… this season of giving that lies ahead” in the context of remembering “… people less fortunate than ourselves”. Praying this, and hearing the words spoken aloud, I realised that there is a realm of disquiet within me that these words ruffled. It’s a disquiet formed by the inequality of our material existence in Southern Africa, mixed with my own selfishness and envy, which this season – particularly in terms of the over-indulgent consumerism that I associate with it – only serves to highlight. The prayer went on to ask God to “… bless us with your love and peace as we celebrate this Nativity together.” These were words that touched me, and called forward a different response, relief almost, but not exactly; more a realisation that there is potential for a creative response to my disquiet. I am realising that the real challenge of this season is to allow these two gifts of love and peace to profoundly transform me, and that any disquiet I experience can be channeled into a renewed lifestyle and attitude that meaningfully embraces the disparities of our society and world, bringing real opportunity for making a difference to the lives of those “… less fortunate than ourselves.” It is in the daily moments of interaction with others that this comes to life; and it is more than a season.

 

And it needs to be practical. Professor Hugh Corder, presently Dean of the Law faculty at UCT and also a parishioner of St Thomas’ in Rondebosch, addressed the vision he shares with his colleague, Anton Fagan, at our recent Archdeaconry Council meeting: The Five Plus Project. Information on this initiative is available at http://www.fiveplus.uct.ac.za/, but in essence “The Five Plus Project’s goal is to get as many comparatively well-off South Africans as possible to give at least 5% [or more] of their [taxable] income to organisations and initiatives helping to reduce poverty in South Africa or alleviate its effects”, and make a public pledge to this effect. If you read through the list of members on their website you will doubtless recognise some of the people who have had the courage to do this. In the Church context we often speak about a “tithe”, but in reality for most of us – and there are always exceptions – our giving is far less than the 10% a “tithe” is understood to represent, even if we add in causes and initiatives we may support beyond our giving to the Church. At our recent Diocesan Clergy School at Houwhoek we were privileged to have Professor Jonathan Jansen address us, and he mentioned he donates 50% of his annual salary to educational bursaries. Ultimately, however, it’s not about how much we give, but rather that we do give! And making a public pledge may not be our comfort zone, but it does help keep us accountable and honest to our commitment.

 

In the late 1990’s in the Parish of St George in White River we adapted a stewardship programme developed by the former Diocese of Johannesburg (as part of their multiplication into four new Dioceses) that helpfully spoke of “Giving for Others”, which encouraged a broader stewardship that was sacrificial rather than percentage driven; took into account our giving not just to the Church, but also within the wider community; focused us beyond our financial resources to sharing our available time, and our skills; and suggested that at any particular time in our lives the ratio of resources to time to talent would reflect the stage of life we found ourselves in. To this day my personal budget contains an item headed “For Others” and is divided into “Church” and “Charity”. I have to sadly confess the latter lags consistently behind the former!

 

This brings me back to the Nativity prayer: what do the gifts of love and peace look like when I apply them to my resources, my time, and my skills base? What does it mean for me to honestly address the envy I experience when I mix with people that I perceive to have more than me; and the selfishness that grips me when I am called to share with those less privileged and less fortunate? Do I have the courage to commit to 5% or more of my pre-taxed income to my giving for others?

 

These questions are perhaps a little too deep for comfort, asking as they do whether our Christian faith, often seemingly profound on the surface of our lives, isn’t actually somewhat superficial below the surface? And the Christmas holidays are, after all, a period in our full lives when we look forward to some time off, some time away; an opportunity to set aside the big questions of life and to enjoy a relaxed break with family and friends.

 

Our Advent Liturgy calls us to “… offer ourselves anew as witnesses to the advent of Christ’s glory, seeking to bring Christ’s light and love to those who sit in darkness.” I offer the above in this context as food for thought, something to chew on over the Advent and Christmas seasons; as much for myself as for you.

 

Wishing you a transformative Christmas and New Year!

 

Blessings

Mark

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon: The Baptism of Christ

Sermon: The Baptism of Christ 9 January 2022 – Archdeacon Mark Long Isaiah 43:1-7; Psalm 29; and Luke 3:15-17, 21-22; NRSV   The New Y...